Recently, I have started playing ping pong again. Growing up, My Dad, my brother and I used to play ping pong all of the time! We would have tournaments at night before we went to bed. All three of us are pretty competitive people and none of us like to lose. Over time, we would constantly try to get better and exploit each others weaknesses. My weakness was and is my backhand shot.
I would spend hours trying to work on my backhand. I would spend so much time working on overcoming my weakness. Overtime, my backhand got a little better but has never become great.
I remember one day my Dad said to me, “Stop working so hard on your weakness and start focusing on your strengths.” Huh, it never even occurred to me to do that. My strength is my serve and forehand spike. I started to work on my serve and my forehand. What I found was this: if I could serve it really well people would be forced to hit the ball to my forehand. My serve would tee up my forehand spike! As I worked on my strengths I began to become a better ping pong player.
Why is it so easy to focus on our weaknesses and ignore our strengths? It could be because people tend to always point out our weaknesses and ignore our strengths. They tend to see that one bad grade on your report card, or that one day you got to work late, or the one time you lost your temper, or that one accident or speeding ticket on your record.
What if we decided that instead of spending all of our time trying to improve our weaknesses, we asked God to help us in the areas we were weak and we poured our effort into our strengths.
The apostle Paul put it this way in 2 Corinthians 12:9, But God said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
Did he really say that he would boast gladly about his weaknesses? That sounds like a crazy idea! What if it were true? What if we could give our weaknesses to God and rely on His power? What if we focused our effort on our strengths?
Everyone has strengths and everyone has weaknesses.
My good friend Les Morrison recently said, “if you look for the bad in people you will find it every time.”
What if we started focusing on our strengths and the strengths of others around us?
Let me tell you what would happen. Our self-confidence would grow! Our self-esteem would grow! Our self-image would be positive! You would be able to say “so long insecurity” and “Hey there self confidence”!
Here is the challenge:
Make a list of five of your strengths right now. List one way you can work on each one of those strengths going forward.
Remember, your life is NOT small. You have so much to offer when you focus on your strengths!
Guys, guess what!?! We went to Homearama last weekend! And if you’re wondering what that is, basically, it was like Disneyland for Adults! :D Homearama is a model home tour that involves 6 extremely custom built model homes, 4 different builders and the best of the best in local design. And guess what? I took pictures! A. lot. of. Pictures. Now, not all of them are stellar, so please use your imagination to fill in the gaps. I was trying to be subtle and not like the home stalker that I was. BUT, I also snagged a few pics from the website for your viewing pleasure.
It was a great double date night with our friends! We ooh-ed and ahh-ed over all the gorgeous interiors and noticed some definite trends in home design. And while the pricetags on these homes are, lets just say, above most of our paygrades ;) Going through them is still a source of great entertainment and DIY inspiration. So without further adieu, lets get to the pictures!
Master Bedroom & Bathrooms:
Those are baseboard’s painted with metallic paint and nailed to the wall! How cool is that?
We saw a lot of Glass Mosaic Tile installed vertically in the bathrooms.
I wanted that house for the soul purpose of the bathroom light fixtures.
These were so whimsical and fun!
Yep, that’s a loft that you repel down with a rope. I mean, doesn’t everyone have one??
Hallways & Entryways:
<3 Sputnik Pendants!
Living Rooms & Basements:
Infinity Pool off of walkout basement!
See that Huge mirror? Yea, that’s the fridge.
As you can see, we had a great time :) And as mentioned earlier we saw some definite trends throughout the homes.
1. Ceiling Details: Every home without question had very well thought out ceilings. Whether they were hand painted, faux-tinned, wallpapered, coffered, or just given some very unique molding, the ceilings in these homes were given lots of attention. The great news is that you could definitely DIY some of those ideas! You may just need a ladder…and a chiropractor.
2. Flooring: Porcelain Faux Wood Tile was a big trend throughout most of the homes. Especially in the Bathrooms and Mudrooms. Wood flooring was also seen throughout. The finishes and colors were mostly in the medium to dark ranges with lots of gray tones. Floors were also laid in different directions (many were on an angle or done is a herringbone pattern) depending on the room and each home had multiple tones of wood going on when it came to flooring.
3. Counter tops: Granite it seems has given way to Quartz with the exception of “Leather Finished Granite.” It was really unique.
4. Lighting: Big architectural lighting seems to be all the rage. Whether the style was rustic, industrial or glam, make no mistake the lighting was meant to be noticed! The great thing about that is, you can find great light fixtures at deep discounts from sites like Overstock & Lampsplus.
5. Molding and Trim: Whether you prefer white trim, glazed trim, mahogany and /or everything in between, there was a style for you. Many of the home mixed trim colors and finishes throughout the different rooms AND most trim and interior doors were painted in contrasting colors.
Thanks for coming along and getting inspired with us. I think it goes without saying that for most of us, these are dream homes. Completely lavish and totally fun! So lets do each other a favor and not compare or be frustrated by our own humble abodes. Just like flipping through a beautiful home design magazine, allow the creativity of others to inspire you to live beautifully in your own space. Deal? Well, I’m off to re-arrange my mantle for the 17th time OR maybe paint a ceiling :D
Any of these pictures inspire you to a new home project?
Until next time,
P.S….Something SUPER EXCITING is in store for next week, Stay Tuned!!!